Coronavirus - Public
Web Content Display (Global)
Coronavirus Response Overview
Citizens Is Here for You
Citizens has the utmost concern for the health and safety of our policyholders, employees, agents, adjusters and vendors. We are closely monitoring the latest developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) health risk and will follow guidance from public health officials and government agencies as we make ongoing assessments about how best to support our customers, employees and the larger Florida community through this public health crisis.
In these challenging times, Citizens is committed to continuing the policy and claims support our customers have come to expect. In observance of social distancing recommendations, Citizens has encouraged its employees to work remotely, but we do not anticipate interruptions of vital services at this time. We have confidence that the year-round disaster and contingency planning that allows us to carry out our mission in the wake of physical catastrophes will help us ensure that we can continue to provide high levels of service to our customers now.
We encourage you to help our employees participate in social distancing practices by taking advantage of the following convenient online tools and resources:
- myPolicy, Citizens' smartphone-friendly, policyholder self-service tool
- Submit a claim online
- View your policy, claims and billing information
- Submit premium payments
- Online payment and pay-by-phone (866.411.2742) options
- Email us
Although we encourage you to take advantage of our free and convenient online customer and claims service options, our toll-free phone lines remain open and available to serve customers who prefer to contact us by phone at 866.411.2742.
- Customer Care Center – 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. ET, M-F
- Report a Claim – 24/7
- Pay-by-Phone – Automated, 24/7
Payments, Cancellations and Policy Documentation
Citizens understands the extraordinary circumstances many of our policyholders are facing due to COVID-19, and we are committed to doing what we can to help them get through this unprecedented event. Based on recommendations from the Governor’s Office, the Office of Insurance Regulation and Department of Financial Services, Citizens has put in place the following emergency guidelines and procedures:
- On March 27, 2020, Citizens stopped processing policy cancellations and sending nonrenewal notices. After a 10-month hiatus, Citizens will resume processing cancellations and nonrenewals beginning February 1, 2021. Unless Citizens approved a special payment plan, policyholders must pay their total past-due premium by January 31, 2021.
- If you no longer need coverage, you can request cancellation by completing the Cancellation Request web form.
- Bound applications for new business that are submitted without payment are not included in these provisions and will be cancelled back to the original requested effective date.
- Underwriting rules were relaxed to allow more time to submit required documentation. Documentation now is required. Contact your agent for more information.
- If you are a direct-billed, past-due COVID-19-affected policyholder who is unable to pay your past-due amount, you are eligible for our special payment arrangement, which will divide the past-due amount evenly by the number of months left in the term. Contact the Customer Care Center at 866.411.2742 or email us no later than January 31, 2021, to request a special payment arrangement option.
Additional information is available in our FAQs.
Policy Services and Managed Repair Program
Whenever possible, Citizens is using technology to minimize policyholder contact. When Citizens employees or Citizens vendors and their business partners (service providers) need to make in-person contact, we have established procedures to minimize contact and protect everyone involved.
- Citizens employees and service providers have been reminded to practice recognized health precautions, including frequent handwashing and social distancing. They have been asked to stay home if they feel ill or have had any contact with someone who may have been exposed.
- Citizens employees and service providers have been advised to work efficiently to minimize time spent in your home. You have the option of waiting outside your home while service is performed.
- In some cases, inspections and other services can be deferred. If necessary, we will reschedule an appointment with you for a later time. Additional inspection options are available for policyholders with hurricane claims.
- You remain responsible for the duties under your policy, such as retaining damaged property for our inspection, taking pictures of damages, etc. Failure to do so could result in a denial of your claim.
Web Content Display (Global)
Web Content Display (Global)
Coronavirus - Adjuster Updates
Coronavirus-related Information for adjusters is available under Claims Governance in the News section of the Adjusters site. Communications are available on the following topics:
04.15 - New Process for Bound, Unpaid Policies
04.02 - Partial-Fee Invoicing
03.30 - New Procedures for Inspections
03.24 - Remote Claims Adjusting
03.12 - Coronavirus Workplace Protocols
Coronavirus - Agent Updates
Citizens is committed to continuing our agency, policy and claims support. We are available to connect virtually – by phone, video conferencing and webinar – to continue conducting business on our customers’ behalf. For additional information, refer to the following:
Coronavirus - Vendor Updates
In response to the coronavirus, Citizens is working diligently to protect our policyholders and employees and to mitigate possible risks of disruption to our business. As we continue to implement responsive measures, vendors can find updates in the communications below.
06.24.21 - Updated Vendor Protocols
04.01.21 - One Year Anniversary Protocol Reminders
09.04.20 - Return to Office Communication
09.03.20 - Return to Office Playbook
08.07.20 - All Vendor Mask Requirement
07.29.20 - Onsite Vendor Mask Requirement
05.18.20 - Essential Vendor Onsite Precautions
04.14.20 - Reminder: Vendor Precautions/Request to Notify
03.23.20 - Vendor Precautions/Request to Notify
03.18.20 - 4th Party Vendor Precautions
03.16.20 - Essential Vendor Precautions
03.11.20 - Nonessential Vendor Visitation Policy
03.09.20 - Precautionary Advisory/Contract Manager Outreach